Audio-Video System Design Engineer
TechMD, Inc. is a quality-minded audio-video design consultancy for the best names in the entertainment industry. Our business has done well for twelve years via word-of-mouth, but we’re looking to continue to significantly grow our brand.
As our AV System Design Engineer, you’ll work to design and document commercial audio-video systems for a range of entertainment companies, including theme parks, museums, and other large-scale venues. Your duties will include providing project engineering services and support by assisting with client need analysis, system design, proposal generation, labor estimation, shop drawing creation, system testing, and configuration.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Account Executives with customer need analysis/site surveys.
- Participate in initial and ongoing project meetings with clients, architect and other stakeholders.
- Interface with management to create schedules and budgets as required.
- Generate preliminary system designs.
- Create bill of materials, labor estimates, and scope of work narrative for proposals.
- Generate and manage project documentation, including: drawings, cut sheets, manuals.
- Provide system configuration and programming files.
- Test and Adjust, and Systems Commissioning.
- Generate as-built documentation.
- Install, integrate, and test systems on-site as required.
- Assist with end-user training.
- Act as subject matter expert for after-project support.
- Keep up with market and technological trends.
- Support company training initiatives.
Your time will be split between in-house audio, video, and control systems design and in-field work to deploy said systems. You should be able to interface effectively with in-house staff and client engineering teams to evaluate, understand, create, and implement solutions for projects ranging from single venue to property-wide systems.
You’ll report directly to the President and Operations Manager, which includes a commitment to constant and timely communication; especially while in the field. Significant travel and time on-site may be required.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Must have the ability to sit, stand, stoop, and bend for extended periods of time.
- Must be self-motivated, positive, professional, and willing to help create, develop and implement project process improvements.
- Must be able work effectively under direct company guidance, and must also be able to manage on-location direction from clients and other stake-holders while keeping the needs of the company and its interests at the forefront. This is both a technical position and an ambassadorial role!
- Must promote the company culture and mission to all employees, vendors, clients and business partners.
- Must be able to act as the Company liaison for interface with customer and vendor representatives.
- Must possess proven problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to effectively read, write, and give oral presentations.
- Must be able to work at heights, off of a ladder, and in confined spaces, lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to see and distinguish different colors, read small print, and hear and recognize audible signals such as dial tones.
We’re a relatively small company, so we need someone who’s willing to help out wherever they’re needed. Expect to learn a little about a lot of things, and to help your co-workers to do the same.
Education, Certification, License, and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor Degree: EE or Technical Theater preferred, but if you have experience and/or an interest in the following and the desire to learn, send us your resume and a note on why you think you’re worth taking a chance on. A candidate with a great attitude can learn on the job.
- Experience with audio DSP platform programming: QSys, NION, Soundweb, Symnet, etc.
- Experience with digital video players operation and interfaces with displays and projectors: DVI, SDI, etc.
- Experience with deployment of AV control systems: AMX, Alcorn, Medialon, Crestron, QSys, etc.
- Experience with speaker tuning software: Smaart, Systune, SIMM.
- AutoCAD fluent.
- Programming a plus; at minimum be able to troubleshoot and perform simple de-bugging of AV Control code written by others.
- Understanding of encoding and loading of audio and video files and PC-based control systems for audio and video players.
- Competence in speaker coverage mapping and power calculations. EASE capabilities a big plus.
- Basic understanding of computer networking: IP addressing, subnet masks, VLANs, etc.; Understanding of network switch configuration (Cisco, HP) a plus.
This position is full-time and non-contract.
TechMD, Inc. is a casual environment (jeans are just fine) with a high degree of autonomy; you’ll work mostly independently with a high level of personal responsibility. The position is full time beginning immediately, and after an introductory period you’ll be eligible for health and dental benefits and a 401(k), plus nine days a year of vacation and ten paid holidays.
Please email resume and salary history to email@example.com
Date Posted: 2014-12-05